CARLSTADT K-8 BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCIES
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
JUNE 26, 2020 -- CARLSTADT K-8 BOARD OF EDUCATION VACANCIES
The Carlstadt K-8 Board of Education is seeking qualified candidates for 3 full term (three year) vacancies and 1 partial term (one year) on the Carlstadt Board of Education. The vacancies are effective on December 21, 2020 at the conclusion of the current terms. The Board is delegated by law to serve the children of Carlstadt as the policy-making legislative branch of the School District. Responsibilities of the Board are to:
- Monitor student achievement.
- Set district policies and goals.
- Provide financial oversight.
- Approve Human Resources recommendations and evaluate the
- Serve as the communications link between the community and the
- To fill vacancies on the Board of Education.
Board members are required to attend meetings approximately twice per month and serve on committees that require an additional time commitment.
These positions will be effective through the Board’s Reorganization Meeting in January 2021. These positions will be placed on the ballot at the annual election, scheduled in November 2020. The winners will fill a 3 year term from January 2021 through January 2023 or a 1 year term from January 2021 through January 2022 respectively.
To become a member of a local Board of Education in New Jersey, you must be:
- A citizen of the United States of America
- At least 18 years of age
- Able to read and write
- A resident of Carlstadt for at least one (1) year preceding the date of the
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim, against the Board
- Registered to vote in the district
- Not disqualified as a voter pursuant to NJSA 19:4-1
The candidates must file a nominating petition with the county clerk for his or her name to appear on the ballot during the Annual School Election. The deadline to submit the nominating petition is 4:00 p.m. Monday, July 29, 2020. The election is scheduled for Tuesday, November 3, 2020.
Prospective school board candidates can download candidate information from the New Jersey School Boards Association’s website at NJSBA School Board Candidate Kit. The School Board Candidate Kit includes information about nominating petitions, legal qualifications for school board candidacy, and the role of the school board member. Information about the New Jersey School Ethics Act and important dates in the school election process are also included.